Serving, Self-Serving or Servitude?

On the contrary, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave;  just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life—a ransom for many.

There is a fine line here.

One that I think we tip-toe around and don’t really want to admit.  Are we really doing this for HIM?

Service.

Servanthood.

SELF.LESS.NESS.

We want to think that we are living a life that serves.  That puts others before ourselves.  That gives and lives and serves as Jesus did.

But it’s hard.

We step out in faith and commit.

Commit to being HIS HANDS.  HIS FEET.

And before we know it, we are tired and whining and wondering, “what’s in this for me…”

And it starts feels more like servitude.

And we fail.  We fall on our faces and confess that it’s not easy. That we’re tired and inadequate. That this service was supposed to bring joy, but instead we’re feeling frustrated and there is the

overwhelming

desire

to

just

give

up.

After all, If I can’t do what He asks of me with the right attitude, why do I keep serving?  Why not just walk away? Quit.

Because it’s not the right option.

Disobedience is never an option.  We obey even when it’s hard. Even when we have to work to get our spirit in line with His.

Because He always provides.

Just what we need.

Right when we need it.

Because He knows best and He knew when He asked us that we could accomplish anything He “tasks” us to do, if we will just let Him in. Let Him do the work, through us.

And He is always faithful.  True to Himself and His Word.  He keeps seeking and serving.  And loving.

Psalm 36.5

Invite Him to your pity party and admit that you need Him. Every hour of every day, you need Him.

“Answer me quickly, Lord; my spirit fails.  Don’t hide Your face from me, or I will be like those going down to the Pit.  Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning, for I trust in You. Reveal to me the way I should go,

because

I

long

for

You.”

Psalm 143:8

~~Vickie

10 comments for “Serving, Self-Serving or Servitude?

1. Jann Olson
    April 7, 2016 at 8:43 pm

What a beautiful post! I find that every time I serve I am blessed beyond measure! Serving is a gift from God! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

• April 7, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Jann, thanks so much for stopping by–we all need a little encouragement once in a while!

2. April 7, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Thank you for sharing at SYC!

3. April 7, 2016 at 12:16 pm

I like your comment about how we often start to feel like we are in servitude, when really we have to remember we are called to ne servants!

• April 7, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Thanks, Laura, I think sometimes we just need a fresh reminder of why we do what we do!

4. April 7, 2016 at 1:05 am

Thanks for sharing these beautiful words with SYC.

5. April 6, 2016 at 2:13 pm

This was beautiful. I directed this year’s Easter drama at my church (shoo-ey it was a ton of work) and there were multiple times when I got so got up in the serving, I forgot about the servitude. I was so distracted working on projects for God that I forgot to spend time with God. The result was stress, chaos and exhaustion. But God pinpricked a ray of light into the darkness I had created and realigned my focus. This post is just such a beautiful thing that I need to work harder to adhere to! ❤

• April 8, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Don’t you just love it when God does that?! He is always faithful, even when we are not at our best!