I was nominated by a sweet friend on Facebook to name ten books that have stuck with me over the years, but decided it was easier to blog about it rather than write a long post on her wall.
Books have been a big part of my life since I was a young girl, and spent many countless hours with my nose in a book. Finding the time to read proved more difficult during my child-bearing years, but I would often lose sleep because I couldn’t resist reading “one more chapter”.
It wasn’t difficult for me to list ten, but it would be more difficult if I had to put them in a Top Ten LIst. So my obvious #1 is the Bible, but the rest are in random order.
Here they are, complete with links to Amazon if you’re interested in purchasing:
- The Bible: (a no-brainer!) My guide-book for life, the source of TRUTH, the WORD OF GOD.
- Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby: As a young adult, it was pivotal in my spiritual growth.
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman: Helped me to really understand the way we love and what it means.
- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren: Filled in some gaps spiritually that I wasn’t even aware of.
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel: A must have book for help in answering the questions of skeptics.
- Where’s Mom? The High Calling of Wife and Mother in the Biblical Perspective by Dorothy Patterson: A revelation and confirmation of my purpose.
- Enjoying the Presence of God by Jan Johnson: Reminded me that prayer is not just an activity we do, it’s how we survive and thrive spiritually.
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp: Changed the way I think. The gift that keeps on giving–I still record 1,000 blessings every year.
- Deadline by Randy Alcorn: I’ve read lots of novels over the years, but this is one that I’ve shared more than any other. Fascinating perspective on eternity.
- Seven Steps to Becoming a Healthy Christian Leader, Warriors in Hiding, and Immersed by Doug Munton: Couldn’t help but give my husband a shameless plug–He IS a great writer and these books have changed our lives in more ways than one.
If you order a book with Amazon, don’t forget to order with AmazonSmile, where you can designate your favorite non-profit (mine is the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention!), and they will donate 0.5% of the price to the organization of your choice.
I would love to hear from my readers about books that have influenced you–and if you read any of these, what you think!
“For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword,penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the ideas and thoughts of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12