Scripture Challenge: A Verse from Every Book in the Bible: GENESIS 1:1

I’ve never done well with memorization, but I can’t use my weakness as an excuse for not trying. The truth is, I’ve learned that if it’s important, I’ll remember it.  I make myself. I write it down. I dwell on it. Sometimes I lose sleep over it.
And the older I get the more desperate I have become to memorize Scripture.

The truth is, I have come to realize that it’s not about how much I can remember in my brain, but how much I store in my heart.

I teach a great group of 6th graders and I challenge them constantly with Scripture memory.  I usually provide them with a Scripture card that I have designed specifically for them based on the topic or passage we are studying.

Maybe this is a trip I’ll be taking solo, but I’ve decided to post a  Scripture Verse/Challenge from every book in the Bible.  My hope is that it will encourage some of my readers to take up the challenge of committing Scripture to heart.

If you’re on board, here’s some tangible ways to help make it easier:

1.)  Keep it in front of you.  Post it on your mirror, frig, or on your desk.

2.)  Repeat it often.  Out-loud is best, but even just saying it in your mind helps.

3.)  Look for ways to apply it.  Often the verse I’m memorizing is the very one that I need that week–or have an opportunity to share with someone.

4.)  Pray it.  God’s Word is Truth, and often scripture reminds me of God’s character, His provision or His love.  There is often no better way to prepare me to even know how to pray than when I read His Word.

It’s a big goal (for me), but I want to memorize a verse from every book in the Bible, and so if you’d like to join me, I welcome the company–and challenge you to follow along with me as I get in the practice of storing God’s Word in my heart.

If you’d like to print or save the scripture, just click the icon in the “BOX” in the sidebar.

HERE WE GO!

Verse #1:

It may seem simple, but this is a basic truth of Christianity:  GOD CREATED THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IN IT.

From the beginning of time man has searched for answers.  “Is there a God?”, and “How did I get here?”.  This basic premise is where it all starts.  We must hold to the truth that there is only ONE TRUE GOD and He spoke our world into existence.

We can do this!  I’d love it if you’d let me know if you’re participating… it’ll be fun to encourage each other along the way!

~~Vickie

31 comments for “Scripture Challenge: A Verse from Every Book in the Bible: GENESIS 1:1

1. Jo
    May 9, 2013 at 8:25 am

Love this challenge. This first one I memorized 50 years ago so 1 down. I promise to repeat it everyday this week. Jo @ Let’s Face the Music

• May 9, 2013 at 8:27 am

Happy to have you, Jo!! I can’t wait to see/share what God does!

2. Tammie Brandmeyer
    May 7, 2013 at 7:37 am

I join you in this challenge. Two weeks ago my Lifegroup teacher challenged us to memorize a scripture and offered us a chocolate bar for a reward (Yes-I’m in an adult Lifegroup (: ) I didn’t win the chocolate bar BUT I did memorize the scripture and I need it more in me than the chocolate.

I copied the verse from your blog and made it my screen saver on my phone for the week.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Tammie Brandmeyer

Sent from my iPhone

• May 7, 2013 at 7:41 am

So glad to have you! I know this is a big challenge, but I’m excited to do this! Some weeks will be harder than others, but I love the challenge of a spiritual work-out!

• Denise
        May 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I loved tammie’s idea and saved it to my lock and home screen. Double seeing it!

• May 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I’m printing them out each week and am going to come up with a creative way to display them when we’re done!

3. Denise
    May 6, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hey Girl, Ok so when I read your title I thought, uh oh…scripture memory challenge. I too am not good at it. But after reading your blog, I love your challenge. I’ll go for it! Not just because our first one is easy and I kind of already knew it, but because it’s important and because I won’t b doing it alone. I need others to give me that little extra push to stay consistent. So count me in!

• May 6, 2013 at 9:24 pm

YAY!! So excited to have you join in! You challenged me with One Thousand Gifts… Now it’s my turn! Love it!