Beauty In The Mundane

Up before dawn, I can hear that it’s raining… again.

Still feeling frustrated with life being in such a holding pattern, I face a new day with dread instead of anticipation.

It feels as though the days are mundane. Repetitive and lackluster.

In the quiet, I confess my lack of gratitude and ask God to reveal Himself to me today.

I am still, and my listening becomes a prayer…

I hear the clock ticking and I am grateful for another day.

I hear the birds singing outside my window and I join them in praise.

The sound of rain reminds me that He is generously providing life-giving water to His creation.

Not just sustenance, but growth.

“For just as rain and snow fall from heaven
and do not return there
without saturating the earth
and making it germinate and sprout,
and providing seed to sow
and food to eat,
so My word that comes from My mouth
will not return to Me empty,
but it will accomplish what I please
and will prosper in what I send it to do.”

Isaiah 55:10-11

I can’t hear my garden grow, but I can see it changing every day.

New life emerges in the forest as new fawns are being born.

Flowers are displaying the beauty of His creation.

Trees have lost their blossoms and fruit is emerging.

The birds are preparing their nests for their growing families,

and they are singing despite the rain, teaching me to sing and to worship and to praise Him, as I experience

the beauty in the mundane.

10 comments for “Beauty In The Mundane

1. May 22, 2020 at 7:26 am

This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for reminding me to see the beauty in the little things

2. May 21, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I absolutely love your photos, Vickie, and I feel the pangs with the rain, and of course the rains comes with such beauty

Liked by 1 person

• May 22, 2020 at 5:59 am

Thanks so much for your encouragement! 🙂 Normally rain doesn’t do that to me–I actually enjoy it! This season of isolation has just been so hard, but I am learning to focus on being thankful for the little things…

Liked by 1 person

3. May 21, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Beautiful photos, and I love your recording of the birds singing!
    I like this, too: “my listening becomes a prayer…”
    I noticed when my son was a baby that he saw wonder in things that I no longer saw as wonderful. I needed to see through new eyes, the eyes of a baby, to be reminded that these things are not ho hum but beautiful creations, and I needed God to help me see them as such. May the Lord continue to open our eyes to see things from His point of view.

Liked by 2 people

• May 22, 2020 at 6:01 am

What a sweet reminder from the eyes of a child! Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and for sharing your story–we can all learn from each other, can’t we?

Liked by 1 person

• May 22, 2020 at 8:18 am

Yes, and this morning I am reminded as I read your comment of Matthew 21:16 & Psalm 8:2.
        You’re welcome!
        Yes, we surely can!
        God bless you, sister, as you spend this precious time at the feet of the Master! 💖

4. May 21, 2020 at 10:35 am