You’re A Good, Good Father

This song.

I can’t get it out of my head–and yet, I don’t want to.

“You’re a Good, Good Father, it’s Who You are…”

“And I’m loved by You, it’s who I am.”  [Chris Tomlin]

Being a parent is the hardest, most rewarding job in the world, and the truth is,

We all fail.  We fall down.  We mess up.  We make mistakes.

Yet, they still love us and want our approval.

We feel inadequate and overwhelmed.

Yet, this undeniable,

unending,

undeserving love that we have for our children trumps it all.

Yes, my father is a good one.  He was from a generation of really.hard.workers. He would work 2-3 jobs to provide for his family and never let us go without.  He taught us the principles of hard work and discipline and consistency.  And we knew he loved us even if he didn’t say it often.  He could be tight and generous at the same time.  Economics demanded that he save and prepare for the unknown future, but out of love for us, he freely gave us everything we needed and more.

Fathers are judged unfairly because they are often expected to be maternal, when in reality they are created to be the provider and leader of their homes, not the coddling, “if mama ain’t happy, then nobody’s happy” tip-toeing around the house, afraid of upsetting the tribe, purring kitty cat that just needs petted and fed once in a while.

Unlike previous generations, their authority is questioned and their God-given mandate to lead is perceived as a negative personality trait.  The women’s movement tried to take the word, “male” and make it a curse word.

“So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female.”  Genesis 1:27

Then He blessed them and gave them each their own responsibilities.  Responsibilities that were specific to their gender.  Women had babies.  Men provided.  As a result of the fall, both were given hard labor–ours in childbirth, theirs in working to provide for their families.

God in heaven calls Himself “Father” for a reason.  He is the only perfect Father, and He demonstrates for us the kind of Good, Good Father our men should be:

Compassionate and Loving–With a heart willing to love and to listen.

“The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry for help.”  Psalm 34:15

He Hears

Leading–Firm in convictions and a model of integrity. Leading by example.

“I will instruct you and show you the way to go; with My eye on you, I will give counsel.”  Psalm 32:8

Wreath 2

Providing–desiring so much more than material provision–but pursuing a personal, loving relationship that provides a safe haven.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.  How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!  Fear the Lord, you His saints, for those who fear Him lack nothing.  Young lions lack food and go hungry, but those who seek the Lord will not lack any good thing.”  Psalm 34:8-10

He Provides

God the Father is “perfect in all of His ways to us”, even if the father you have in this world is not.  They could never fill those shoes–and they shouldn’t be required to. Comparing the two only brings frustration.  Our earthly fathers were never intended to replace a relationship with God the Father.  He serves as an example, and only He can “know just what we need before we say a word”.

If possible, hug your Father today.  Or at least call him.

Either way, make time to thank your Heavenly Father for your earthly one.

I know am going to–

Love you, Dad!

Vickie

13 comments for “You’re A Good, Good Father

1. Marcella Kramer
    August 23, 2016 at 4:06 pm

I actually played the guitar and sang “Good Good Father” at my father’s funeral luncheon on July 27, 2016. It was quite special. I will be singing “Good Good Father” at my Life Group’s potluck while my son, Steven, signs the words in American Sign Language!

2. Marcella Kramer
    August 4, 2016 at 12:17 am

“Good Good Father” is one of my favorite songs! I just met my Heavenly Father for the first time on March 17th, my twins birthday! I told Jesus that if His Father was any thing like my father, I wanted nothing to do with Him. But Jesus said, “If you have seen me, you have seen my Father.” WOW, now I understand just how much my Heavenly Father loves me! It is amazing! I am His Treasured Daughter! My father died on July 21, 2016. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to share the Gospel message with him some years back and he did pray to receive Jesus and the gift of salvation. My only regret is that I never knew the special relationship that a daughter should have with her father. You see, my father was abusive. He is with the Lord now. One day, we will have that special relationship.

• August 4, 2016 at 7:56 am

What a blessing to know the One True Father, and to be the one to introduce your earthly father to Him! So sorry for your loss. ❤ Thanks for sharing!

• Marcella Kramer
        August 7, 2016 at 9:46 am

Thank you, Vickie. I appreciate your prayers: that I be set free from the power the abuse has over my life, and that I can be made whole through the power of the Holy Spirit in order to live the abundant life God has for me!

3. Cheryl Dix
    June 18, 2016 at 8:41 am

I love your blog! I did not know you had one! I definitely will follow you! Your new grandbaby is just precious and to be born on the mission field, just priceless! What a great family doing God’s work! Enjoy your time with them.

4. hugshomemadegmailcom
    June 17, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Nice post. you are so luck to have your dad. I wish I could kiss him, hug him,and say that I love him but he’s gone. I just posted a post about my dad you might want to take a look and share with your kids. Happy father’s day to you and your dad!

• June 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thank you, I will! ❤ Sorry you have lost your father! We lost my sweet father-in-law four years ago, and it still hurts…Pray you find peace and joy in your memories of him.

Liked by 1 person

• hugshomemadegmailcom
        June 17, 2016 at 1:42 pm

sorry to hear about your loss too. Thank you for your kindness.

• hugshomemadegmailcom
        June 18, 2016 at 11:54 pm

5. June 17, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Great post! It’s so true how much is changing, but our Heavenly Father and His example never does. I love your graphics too; perfectly pinnable 😉
    I would just note that while I love how Chris Tomlin has brought attention to the song, the original by Housefires deserves an audience too. 🙂

• June 18, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Thank you! I’ll check it out. I was unaware that they had the original!

6. June 17, 2016 at 9:43 am

I actually did not like this song much at first but it has become one of my current favorites.